Monday, December 14, 2009

The Grass Isn't Always Greener

In the past week I have ...

Spent 90 minutes in the waiting room of the doctor's office followed by 45 minutes at the pharmacy only to find out that the pharmacist hadn't filled the prescription because she wanted to ensure I was willing to pay the amount charged.

Looped again and again through a "help" line at the mortgage company. As I pressed (smashed, crushed, etc.) the "O" for "Operator," an overly-cheerful, automated voice repeatedly came on to say, "I understand you would like to speak with a customer service representative, but if you give me a chance, I might be able to help you." My mental response to this isn't fit to be posted.

Locked myself out of the house for a solid four hours on a morning I had lots to do.

Taken the two babies to Mass. Twenty minutes of prayerful bliss followed by 40 minutes of wrestling the two-year-old. Listened to the longest homily in the history of weekday Masses. Certain that all Regan and Dolin ancestors are out of purgatory.

Spent 70 minutes in a portrait studio valiantly trying to get four children (including Ainsley with an ear infection) to give some semblance of a smile at the same time. No dice.

Walked into the living room to find coffee dumped over a stack of very nice books. Returned minutes later to find a favorite ornament in three pieces.

Chased John through Publix. Actually had to leave Ainsley alone to make the capture. Chase may have lasted a mere 60 seconds, but it was a l-o-n-g 60 seconds. Cried on the way home.

Watched a women push her groceries home from the grocery store. Her cart tipped over in the middle of a busy street. Sat in my heated, comfy van and repented for the fortitude that is so glaringly absent in my life.

No comments: