Thursday, November 12, 2009

In Flew Enza

During the 1918 flu pandemic, little girls would jump rope to this grim ditty:

I had a little bird
His name was Enza
I opened up the window
And in flew Enza

Well, it's landed here.

Tim and Dave are sick, sick. I am nursing Ainsley wearing a mask. (If you want to be aware of how often you kiss your babies, just put on a mask.)

I rolled out of bed this morning and asked Tim how he was feeling.

"Sick," he said. "Let's just leave it at that."

In the midst of it all, I am grateful for doctors who take good care of us and supply us with samples. For friends who run to the grocery store. For Tamiflu (even if it is $86.00). For my sisters Kate and Karen who call and chat and don't tell my Dad we have H1N1 in the house. For Ainsley who is, without a doubt, the easiest baby woman ever birthed. For the good health that we usually enjoy.

May I offer up this short-term inconvenience for the many, many people who are chronically ill, most especially my Mom.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Not to make light of your illness (and I hope you are on the mend!) but when I read the post title, my immediate thought was "Enza. That's a nice name for a baby."

I have GOT to come up with a name. I am making myself crazy.

Kelly said...

That's funny. I love the name Esme, the name of Dan Conkright's daughter. If Ainsley had been a boy, she probably would have been Scott Donnell. Donnell is an Irish derivative of Donum which means gift.Our pregnancy was so completely unexpected -- a gratuitous gift from God.

I have always loved that Andree's maiden name - Donadieu - is French for Gift of God.

Rachel said...

I was (frantically) going through our baby name book on Sunday -- the one we've had since pregnant with Ethan. There was one girl name circled: Ainsley!

I think the name is so sweet, I just didn't remember that it had ever been on one of my lists.

And Scott Donnell is awesome! Sounds like a famous fiction writer.

Kelly said...

How weird is that?!

My niece was here when Ainsley was born. She was determined to cover all possible names. We settled on Ainsley Elizabeth at 11:45 the day we were being kicked out of the hospital. She was Sophie Grace for a few minutes.

Patti Doughty said...

My money was on Sophia Grace - when at home alone sometimes, Deanna and I still refer to her by that name. But she looks more and more like an Ainsley with each passing day.