Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Igniting the Fire Within

My prayer group is reading what I believe is the best book on prayer I've ever found. From Father Dubay's Prayer Primer: Igniting the Fire Within:


If five different people pick up this book, or fall on their knees at the end of a long day, they may easily be prompted by five specifically different motives. One may be suffering and wants to find a way to cope. A second may have had a run-in with husband or wife and is hurting inside. A third is perhaps responding to an inner emptiness. A fourth is simply doing what was learned at Mom's knees. The fifth is deeply in love with God and cannot imagine beginning or ending a day without adoring and praising him - and thus loving him more and more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds really interesting, Kelly, thanks for the tip. I take it that the point of the quote here is that the last scenario is better than the first four?

I'm rereading "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp, which I found very thought-provoking. Gosh, there is no limit to what I have left to discover and learn...

I hope your prayers for fortitude are being answered.