Thursday, December 08, 2011

Let's Make a Deal

So Ainsley offered me a deal the other day: If I bought her Dora panties, she'd potty train. To make a long story short, I've kept my end of the bargain.

It's been yet another damp and noxious day in my house. Ainsey has an accident, and then yells with great indignation, "I have to go potty!" Cause, don't you know, I'm holding her back!

Today -- after multiple accidents and amid a mounting pile of laundry -- I deposited her on the potty. She looked at me and said, "It's just not working." On that point, sweet pumpkin, we are in full agreement.

In my Army days, I learned that U.S. troops don't retreat; we conduct retrograde operations (a.k.a. retreat). So do we forge ahead or do we conduct retrograde operations? Did I mention it's nearing Christmas? Do I consider that we have Christmas festivities Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and two next Thursday?

(We get Wednesday off for good behavior).

 To these various gatherings, I am expected to arrive bearing several gifts, canned goods, M & M's, cookie batter, already baked cookies, hot chocolate, and four well-scrubbed children decked out in festive attire.

And a potty-training two-year-old?

Time for some egg nog, I think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me some retrograde action might be in order until things are a bit less stressful on all other fronts! I wasn't too sure if my daughter would be ready for nursery - potty trained, i.e. - by her 3rd birthday. She pretty much was, but... I also remember the received wisdom I heard from a lot of people in Scotland was: wait until the spring when the weather improves, so you can spend more time outdoors with them!

Anonymous said...

(In case that wasn't completely clear - if you're outdoors, accidents are less of a big deal than inside on carpets and upholstery!)

Kelly@http:/inthesheepfold.blogspot.com said...

Shorts and little spring dresses are a little earier to cope with than long pants, socks, and shoes. At least we don't wear snowsuits way down here!

Somehow they all manage to figure it out.

pat said...

I completely agree with retrograde. I also agree with spring, summer potty training and it's been my experience that 3 is a better magic number.