Saturday, October 19, 2013

Real life has trumped on-line life. I am uber-focused on a) this little family of mine and b) a vast, vast list of projects too complicated to detail and too time consuming to spend much time either or reading.

But I think I can manage Quick Takes:

1. So John is considering his career options. He's always expressed interest in becoming what he calls "one of those polices." Seems, though, that "one of those polices" reacted badly to part of his training at the old Police Academy -- mandatory tazing.

"I don't know if I want to be one of those polices," John informed me upon hearing this tale. "They get donuts, but I don't want to get tazed."

Can't say I blame him.

Note: The Internet disagrees on whether it's tazed or tased, tazing or tasing. FYI.

2. A typical Ainsleyism: Stop it, John! You're a chair, and I'm going to sit on you!

Right up there with tazing.


3. A not so typical exchange:

Ainsley: Can I play with my ball?

Me, half asleep: Sure, just don't put it  in your mouth.

Ainsley: I won't, Mama.



4. A more typical exchange:

Ainsley:  I love Barney!

Tim: You know, Ainsley. Barney died last night.

Me: ????

5. I can't actually identify the precise website a certain older member of the household was viewing with his six-year-old son, but I'll leave you with two observations:

1. It should come as absolutely no surprise that Ainsley took her apple-shaped speller and had it sing the letters I C U P.

2. I am convinced that mild mannered, slightly serious, mostly male engineers charged with our nation's nuclear safety sit in conference rooms and have to work very, very hard to stifle a chuckle or two over the fact that the chemical symbol for plutonium is PU. Then again, I believe men very much like them invented the chemical symbols. Coincidence? I think not.

6. Which all reminds me of a recent Baby Blues comic strip that Tim and Ainsley now have memorized:

Ainsley's line: I had the most amazing dream last night! I was flying to my very own fairy princess castle! Of course, I had on a sparkly gown made of butterfly wings and silver thread... And I was riding on the back of a unicorn with pink wings that I named Cotton Candy!

Tim's comeback: That dream makes me want to trap a bear and barbecue it while I watch hockey in my underwear.

Some families memorize scripture or Shakespeare. Hmmmm.

7. A friend recently passed us a bag of girly hand-me-downs. Ainsley took one look at it and gushed -- I mean Gushed! -- "Oh! My! Goodness! This is so incredible! Kolbe, I have the most exciting news!"


Yes, we are living, breathing stereotypes around here, and we make no bones about it.

Head over to Jen's to add your Quick Takes.

4 comments:

claire said...

6 and 7 are hysterical! Thanks for adding some humor to my Sunday morning.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh, Kelly!

Kris said...

Awesome! We love Baby Blues. You should check out Fox Trot this morning - my uber-geek math genius son GUFFAWED when he read it. Your husband would like it!

Kris said...

In case you don't get in Augusta..

http://www.foxtrot.com/