Friday, February 24, 2012

Newton's First Law of Inertia

Seven Quick Takes:

1. Science Fair is upon us, so I'll begin my takes with an excerpt from a Dave Barry classic:

Although a science fair can seem like a big ''pain,'' it can help you understand important scientific principles, such as Newton's First Law of Inertia, which states: 'A body at rest will remain at rest until 8:45 p.m. the night before the science fair project is due, at which point the body will come rushing to the body's parents, who are already in their pajamas, and shout, `I JUST REMEMBERED THE SCIENCE FAIR IS TOMORROW AND WE GOTTA GO TO THE STORE RIGHT NOW!'

Read the rest here.

2. This week could have been The Perfect Storm -- the Pinewod Derby, the Science Fair, a social studies' diorama, and a Boy Scout camping trip -- all in the span of about five days. Add one stomach bug and two sinus infections.

The good news is that Lent is also upon us. While this sinus infection prevents me from articulating exactly (or even approximately) what I mean, there is a renewed grace in my life. And let me tell you, this is a good thing because I've needed every last ounce of grace I could muster.

Click here to read Elizabeth Foss articulate what I can not manage at the moment. This line captures it all for me:

After the busy happiness of Christmas and the inevitable juggling of schedules and commitments that comes with the new year, I like to peel back the layers of abundance and get down to the basics of relationship. Lent is renewal; it’s a chance to renew relationship with God, with family and with myself.


I'll add a sniffly amen to that.

3. File this under I'm glad I noticed -- Kolbe gets a projects and gets to work. My job is to help locate odd items and to hold things steady as he glues. Two words for this boy of mine: awe some!

4. Overheard -- Tim and his friend compiling a packing list for their camping trip. My job is now to help locate odd items and to pack a big lunch. Two words for this oldest boy of mine: awe some!

5. File this under Something to look forward to -- John and his best bud, Henry, watched their big brothers get ready for the camping trip. "When we're big," Henry said en route to pre-school, "we get to be Boy Scouts. Aren't you exciting?"

Yes, John is nothing if not exciting.

6. From a four-year-old at the atrium -- On Ash Wednesday we go to church and get rashes.

7. Details matter  --  John is putting the finishing touches on the crucifix he had drawn in the atrium. "Wait," he tells me. "Jesus needs a belly button."

Go to Jen's blog, congratulate her on finishing her book, and add your Seven Quick Takes.

4 comments:

priest's wife - S.T./ Anne Boyd said...

ok- those kids are funny! Thanks for the laugh

Anonymous said...

And you are funny too, Kelly. I like Newton's First Law of Inertia as well. I love how your posts range from the deepest things (the meaning of Lent) to the seemingly lightest things - that is really what life is like, all of it mixed together.

Sending good wishes for your and everyone else's health!

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

Hysterical! Especially the belly button. And the rashes. And everything else.

Janet said...

I love it, Kelly! Kolbe's diorama melted my heart with my picture in the middle of the Kenyan Savanna. (Even if it was right next to the big snake). (I've posted it on my blog just in case you ever forget).Thanks for sharing your insights. There is hope for the busy life! I pray you feel better soon!