Friday, January 20, 2012

Producing High Achievers

The Evidence Based Mummy gives me a reason to feel good about myself:
Quiz time. Which of the following best predicts your child’s level of achievement at school and at work?

1. Your level of education

2. Your occupation

3. The number of books you have in your house?

Believe it or not, the answer is 3. the number of books in your house.

So stacks like Exhibit A to the right are simply a sign of future achievement and have nothing to do with slothful housekeeping or an inability to say no to a book? They are not an indictment of the fact that I routinely cruise through the drive through at Goodwill to drop off a box of books only to then park my van, enter the store, and buy a few more?

And the fact that I could easily produce Exhibits B, C, D, E, and F? It's all good, very good.

But then I have moments when I say, "Forget all those books. Let's just rely on the big screen to pass on core literacy."

I'm hanging the shower curtain -- a shiny, vinyl, highly washable shower curtain -- that sports a map of the world. You can take care of business and pin point the exact location of Fiji all at the same time.

"What state is that," John asks, pointing to the Far East.

"That's China," I tell him.

"China! That's in Kung Fu Panda 2!"

I'm putting together a puzzle with John. It's one of the great monuments of the United States. John quickly recognizes The Statue of Wiberty.

"That's in  Bespicable Me," he tells me.

"That's right," I say. "And Mount Rushmore? You remember that from National Treasure II."

Yes, we are producing high achievers. John's a mere four years old and knows the word Bespicable. Just call me The Tiger Mother.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! This is very reassuring since my daughter has missed the last 5 months of school - PLENTY of books in our house! Not that she is interested in the ones we like, but I take your post as a sign of encouragement.