In light of my highly sophisticated, clearly articulated economic plan that can best be summed up in four words -- Don't Spend a Dime! -- I am compiling a list of summer activities that are free (or close to it):
1. The Columbia County Library and its water park.
2. Other parks.
3. The pool (now that we've paid for it) and if I can convince my kids the snack bar is for everyone else but them.
4. Biking the canal.
5. Ripsticking along the Greenway.
6. Looking at the stars. Transit of Venus was last night! Last one for a hundred years.
7. The zoo. We're already members. Does require a bit of gas money. Also requires the line about snack bars existing for the benefit of families other than our own.
9. The nearly free movies at the theater.
10. The North Augusta Water park. Haven't been there yet. Hope to try it out next week.
11. Hiking at the swamp.
Our neighbors have a huge dirt pile in the backyard. Their grandson hangs out there with his collection of trucks and is the envy of the pre-school set. I've thought about this as well.
What other adventures are free or close to it?