Saturday, March 24, 2012

Seven Slow Takes

My thoughts for the week:

1. If you write a post about nurturing and brain development, if you illustrate with a few examples of your own positive mothering, if you close with a great quote by Chesterton that captures just how vital mothers are -- well, I warn you, you are probably headed for an epic meltdown. Not that this happened to me or anything.

2. The only thing cuter than a two-year-old playing in the mud(pictured right) is a naked two-year-old playing in the mud (unpictured).

3. The lesson we have reiterated over and over again: We draw on paper. We draw on paper. We draw on paper. All together now. . .

4. You spend a few weeks virtually single-parenting. Your husband finally gets the smallest respite from the job that never ends. He goes online and orders tickets to the midnight premiere of The Hunger Games and makes your teenage son's day. And once again you are reminded that the man just rocks.


6. Seems the little man with the jackhammer exited my left sinus cavity only to enter Ainsley's. When I dwell on how my head throbbed for seven days straight, I have a little more sympathy for the nastiness which has been non-stop today.

En route to the pharmacy, John and Ainsley fought for twenty minutes over a dog's leash. We don't even own a dog, but somehow we own two leashes and a dog collar.

"The blue one's mine," John shouted.

"It's mine," Ainsley wailed. "Mine, m-i-n-e, M-I-N-E!"

Lord, deliver me or at least let these drugs work and fast.

6. Kolbe as Duke Orsino: If music be the food of love, play on!

Add grimace and expression of pure distaste.

7. From my friend Father Tim McKeown: There is the Lent you plan out and there is the Lent God gives you. Very often the greater challenge is faithfully living the latter.

Amen!

Head over to Jen's to add your takes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Come time to clock out at work on Fridays, I say that in my head..."Mine, Mine, MINE!!! I teach toddlers. I can relate with Ainsley.

Amy Parris said...

Amen to Fr. Tim's Lenten observation. My kind of Lent this year.