Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Seven Late Takes

Jen at Conversion Diary hosts even Quick Takes on Friday. When you post the following Wednesday, you get blackballed. Visit Jen's site to find some neat blogs.

Here's my week in a nutshell:

1. Dave is back! We met him at the airport with a giant welcome home sign and an exuberant two-year-old who dashed passed security to fly into his arms. If you leave the photography to boys, you end up with a blurry shot of the vending machine:


The photographer managed to get a better shot of Ainsley riding the carry-on luggage:



2. So I was about to plant a second flat of flowers, and for once procrastination paid off. Before I knew it, the intended site for the flowers was looking like this:



2. Two weeks and an undisclosed (and rather hefty) sum of money later, the patch now looks like this:




3. During installation, the workmen were treated to this:


4. Last night I woke up and thought: I'm cold. This was quickly followed by: Thanks be to God and the fine crew of AC installers.

5. I picked up the paper this morning and spotted this ominous headline: Outlook calls for scorching summertime. And then I thought: When has Augusta not been scorching during the summertime?

6. I have resolved to refrain from commenting on the weather until Labor Day except to say:

 a) We had a cool and pleasant day today (Cool and pleasant being relative. I'm guessing my friend Christine from Scotland would not call a cool day in Augusta cool at all).

 b) We've had a lot of rain. What a blessing!

Yes, I am embarking on a three-month fast of all weather-related whining. I'm still going to whine about my messy house, bad traffic, and any number of other thorns in my side. But the weather? It's off limits. Writing guru James Kilpatrick advises that we refrain from using superfluous words. Summertime in Augusta is scorching. 'Nuff said.


7. As all this may tell you, I don't like heat. I also don't like crowds. Through an interesting series of events,  I will be spending Memorial Day at . . . drum roll, please . . . Disney World!


I think it's all pretty funny, too.

P.S. Dave will be here (just in case you're a blog-reading robber setting your sights on my house).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And did you go to Disney World? You're quite right, your cool day would be a scorcher here in Aberdeen. We're back to our definition of cool, in the 40s!

Kelly@http:/inthesheepfold.blogspot.com said...

Yes, we went to Disney and had a ball! Forties is cool. I'm in Detroit right now, and it's in the fifties. I wore gloves this morning!

Kelly@http:/inthesheepfold.blogspot.com said...

Yes, we went to Disney and had a ball! Forties is cool. I'm in Detroit right now, and it's in the fifties. I wore gloves this morning!